History of the museum
A museum was first established in Royston in 1856, when it was housed in the Institute Building, but in 1901 a decision was taken to close it and the collection was unfortunately sent for auction and dispersed. Many of the finest items were bought by collectors, though some were later returned for the current collection through the generosity of individual purchasers.
In the 1960s and 70s a group from the local history society worked on bringing a collection about Royston and the area back together. A room in the town hall was acquired to show these objects and arouse people’s interest in the town.
In 1984 the museum moved into its current building, the old Congregational Church Schoolroom.
The building had been empty for some time but during the Second World War it was used as a social club for the members of the American Air Force 91st Bomb Group which was based at Bassingbourn. The Americans installed shower facilities and a kitchen which were later removed at the request of the authorities when the war was over.
Since 1984 the collection has been continually added to. The museum achieved its Accreditation status in 2012 and this highlights the standards of professional practice that the museum strives to maintain and improve on.